Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting Back to Writing


Pretty much throughout the winter and spring I have been in drawing/ painting mode and been letting my writing slide, but i think that starting up this blog kinda threw me back into the writing mode. This became quite evident with the spewing forth of a story a couple weeks ago (which all my friends seem to love), which I posted to facebook here. The great thing about writing an awesome and then getting positive feedback is the natural sort of high that comes along with it, and I love that because it can bring on so many other ideas for a stary, or book or whatever you want to write.

But there is a negative, and that is the coming down from the high, and that pretty well sucked. It always seems to happen to me that way, I get all psyched up about something i wrote, but then I get started on another thing and start getting the doubts about it and my writing stalls.

By now you are three paragraphs in and wondering what that graphic is all about(created by the talented Mr. Joris Ammerlaan), and I shall tell you. Way back in November I participated in NaNoWriMo, which challenges you to write a 50, 000 word novel in 30 days without thinking, just writing. NO editing breaks, no stopping and plotting, just writing. A bunch of my friends participated and won, but I only managed about 30,000 words(mainly because life suddenly went crazy that month). Even though I didn't win, it was a great experiance and I managed to write way more than I would have had I not participated at all.

You are still wondering what BuNoWriMo is? As I mentioned, I have a few friends who take this writing thing fairly seriously, and they have a writers group that they call the Burrow, where they get together for writing projects. They have decided to do a version of NaNoWriMo in the month of June and I have joined up.

I will be writing a new novel, not finishing the one from November, that I have already got a good sense of the plot and my main characters. It will be a mystery/comedy and hopefully very fun to write!
If anyone is interested in joining this madness, just let me know and I can hook you up (by setting you up with someone who can actually hook you up).


And on to something different
You may have noticed that I have been slack in the blogging area of late, but that is due to some health issues with my husband and a general lack of time as I have taken a second job helping out my in-laws on their farm in the early mornings, which also takes away my evening time since i have to sleep sometime. A general air of harried-ness follows wherever I go. I am hoping I can actually squeeze enough time out of my afternoons to write a novel, but it will be tough.

Yesterday I spent most of the day at the hospital in a waiting room(freezing my butt off) waiting for the doctor to finish up an emergency surgery before he got to my husbands surgery, which was supposed to happen at 2:00, so we arrived at Noon, but then had to wait in the prep area for 2-2.5 hours after they put him in his hospital gown and shaved his leg. It was boring. Luckily there were no problems other than the delay and we got home safely by 9pm. He is pretty much just moping around today, though, so I don't have to do any intense caring for him and thus have time to write. (huzzah!)

Moo.

(p.s.: If you want to join BuNoWriMo let me know so I can get you an invite to the group on facebook!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm stopping by to say thank you for visiting my blog the other day, and for your comment. I'm also (thanks to Hart) going to be participating in the BuNoWriMo event (against my better judgment, lol). But really, there's nothing like a WriMo to get the writing engines all fired up. So I'll look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Fun!