Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Things I learned on our Misadventure

Things I learned on a floating/ trudging/ swiiming adventure down the Oconto River...

1. There is an Oconto River.

2. It runs through Pulcifer.

3. It likes to eat blow up rafts.

4. A three hour floating trip will take four and a half hours when the last quarter is walked/ trudged/ swam.

5. Crayfish larger than three inches long wil attack people when disturbed.

6. Beer does NOT function as sunscreen.

7. Always carry spare rafts if the average popping rate is two /trip and there are only two people on the trip.

8. Heidi floats faster than me without a raft (but I float faster with one).

About myself...

9. I am a compulsive time checker( i found this out after my time-telling device stopped working)

10. I don't like things touching me while I am in water (any water).

11.I still don't know if I know how to tread water.

12. I am more than happy to get dressed in a Wal-Mart parking lot so I can run in and buy a new pair of shoes rather than driving all the way home to get the forgotten pair (to be fair I needed new barn boots anyways, never mind the brand new pair sitting at home).

13. After trudging for a mile and a half over slick, loose rocks, suddenly looming boulders (okay, so not LOOMING, those we saw in Arizona, but unexpected boulders), and uneven terrain, I PANIC easily...

14. BUT I recognize it for what is is and talk myself down.
and finally...

15. I will apparently follow Heidi to my doom some day (as she chases down her escaping beer [ that stuff cost her money! Can't let it just go away]).

Happy fourth of July! Don't have any misadventures without me!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, oh, this sounds like a glorious trip! What mostly made me curious, though, was what you were doing in the Wall-Mart parking lot BEFORE you got dressed..?

    I think misadventure is my new favourite word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as much fun as it would be to say I was having fun in a Wal-Mart parking lot, I was really just putting a few more clothes on since I was still in my swim suit and felt I should have a few more clothes on before walking inside. Still, it is tricky putting shorts on while damp and sitting in the drivers seat trying not to draw attention to the fact that I was in a state of undress.

    Misadventure is an awesome word, and I use it every time I hang out with Heidi.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Fun!