Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Reminiscing Monday - Cows

The first cow I ever claimed as my own was a Holstein named Rebbecca. I was only four when she was born , but I remember her because my twin got a calf at the same time, and we told them apart by their noses. Her calf had a pink nose and mine was black.

Linkenstien or Starback, I can't be sure which one this is
This morning I started this post and decided that I would try to see if I could get into the Holstein Association records and find her registration info. It didn't take much after I got onto the website to find the animal search function, and a quick (actually it was slow) search of the family prefix, I found Rebbecca. But what I didn't expect to find was that she wasn't mine, she was dad's. My first cow registered was someone called Link, who I am fairly certain was my calf Linkenstein ( what can I say, I was six when I named her!), who had an open-book shaped marking on her forehead. How disappointed was I! She was the only animal on there registered to me other than my two current animals. I guess the other ones were taken off of the family account when they were sold before we left NY.
Bridget and Midget at NE WI High Protein Show

Eventually I got over having Holsteins and moved on to Brown Swiss. They are so much prettier.

I guess that is all I have for today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm learning a lot about cows and goats from you. This could be very useful if ever I go to live in Wales.

    All the best, Boonie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment confuses me. Are there many goats in cows in Wales that are comparable to the ones in Wisconsin?
    =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Fun!