Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Reminiscing Mondays - Dogs

Scruffy

There has never been a time that I can remember when my family hasn't had dogs. The first one that I can remember was an old black dog name  Poochy. I don't suppose I knew him long, he was gone by the time I was five or so, as far as I recall.

My first dog was Scruffy. He ran away with a couple of other dogs, including a beagle, when he was still a puppy. It made me sad. That is about all I recall on that. oh, and my family made fun of me for naming my dog Scruffy (come on, I was six!).

Charlie-Ann
The next oldest dog we had was Charlie-Ann, she was really tiny when we got her as a puppy. No one was really sure what kind of dog she was, possibly a whippet cross, but she lived a long time and made the big move to Wisconsin with us. She is the only dog I knew that actually got to have a middle name.


Bertha and Ed

Joe Joe

Then along came Bertha. She didn't really belong to us, but she loved us anyways and came with us when we moved. But that is a story for another day (Thursday).











Joe Joe was my last dog, and my all-time favorite. Mom brought him home one day and said to me 'clean up the puke in the back of the suburban and he is yours'. So I did, and he became MY dog. He really didn't like car rides as a puppy, and got car sick a lot, something that was forcefully corrected when we made the big move from New York to Wisconsin, a 15 hour car ride. After that he loved to go for rides.

Joe Joe's favorite toy was a sock balled up and stuffed into another sock, his favorite activity was rough-housing, and his favorite color was green. He loved fireworks. He would chase after them barking his head off while Bertha hid her head and cried. Joe Joe had his own little cave underneath mom and dads bed, and kept all of his tin cans stashed under there for later enjoyment.

He died a few of years ago on July 5th, right after his favorite holiday. It broke my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting both Bertha and Joe Joe. Must say that Joe Joe was a heart breaker. I was instantly in love with him. I even have a beautiful pic where he's posing with me. He seemed truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of pictures of Joe Joe, he was always grinning up at me when I had my camera out. I am so glad you got to meet him and Bertha, I doubt I'll ever find dogs like them again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Fun!