Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for Art

Art

I was planning to post a definition of art and then explain why I don't think of myself as an artist. But then I found the definition of art to be really long and inclusive of a lot of things, which I suppose is how it should be.

My idea of art , or what makes an artist, is something that has the deliberate purpose of being pretty, expressing some theme, idea, emotion, or to create a reaction of some kind from the audience. In fact, one of my favorite blog posts of all time comes from Boonie S on the topic of how a specific sculpture is in fact art for that very reason.


For that reason, I am not an artist. I paint to make myself happy, to kill time, or just to get rid of something inside my head.

How do you define art?

7 comments:

  1. H.B., I am going to politely disagree with your statement that you are "not" an artist. The simple fact that you are painting at all or blogging about it as well is statement to the fact that you are indeed an artist. I do no believe that one is only an artist if they are "published". Art is in the eye of the beholder and what may seem like getting something out of your head may inspire someone else. I have felt that way about my writing but I have begun to believe some of the compliments I receive. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF>

    I will be following your A-Z as you are part of the links I committed to following as my goal. I've added myself as a follower of your blog.

    Look forward to seeing more.

    Lisa
    Inspired By Lisa A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is a personal thing, so can't really be defined in my opinion. I've always loved your drawings, and think you are short-changing yourself by saying you are not an artist.

    Glad you're on the A-Z train! MOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think the "get rid of stuff inside my head" part should be included in the definition. Fairly sure it applies to a lot of people who DO consider themselves artists at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Lisa said. I especially like the pig pic and the cloud with happy people running underneath.

    I'm visiting via the A-Z hop. Nice to meet you. I'm #883 on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art is a tricky definition since it can mean so many things to so many people. Made me think though.


    My A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...it is so subjective, isn't it? I guess I find art to be anything that makes me feel something, either good or bad; an emotional connection to the painting/poem/sculpture/etc.

    I'm following you now! You nabbed me with the pig. Very cool pig. :) I also love your rendition of friends making things better.

    Good luck with your A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind words, and for stopping by! I will concede that you have each made a good point, and conclude that each of you have a good idea as to what makes art for you individually.

    Thanks again for visiting my page!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Fun!